New York Fashion Week is over, but the stories of the hair, makeup, and fashion will live on forever. Over the next few weeks I plan to bring you delicious beauty how-to’s straight from the runway along with showing off some of my favorite collections. This designer takes edgy to the extreme, but in a good way of course. From Jill Stuart to Twinkle, Kao was ready to venture onto her own, and set up her namesake shop in 2006.
Next up: Designer Collection Jen Kao’s
Inspiration: Worldly Athleticism for Spring 2013. The clothing this season featured linear lines with strong asymmetry. It seems high necklines and hats were part of the collection, so the hair had to work with those elements. Here are some tips from my favorite lead stylist Anthony Turner for Cutler/Redken Salon in NYC
To create this look follow the steps below
1. Work quite a bit of Redken Full Frame 07 Protective Volumizing Mousse throughout entire hair to give it a matte texture.
2. Blow-dry the hair so that it’s dry and fluffy.
3. Curl hair along the perimeter of the hairline with a 3/8-inch curling iron to give hair a slight bend.
4. Spray hair with Redken Powder Refresh 01
5. Pull hair back with fingers into a low ponytail and secure with an elastic.
6. Gently pull front pieces of hair out for a loose and natural look.
7. Tease ponytail.
8. Wrap ponytail into a messy twist, pulling pieces of hair out and secure with pins.
9. Finish with Redken Forceful 23 Super Strength Finishing Spray all over, and especially around hairline.
Redken Full Frame 07 Protective Volumizing Mousse – $16.00 –
Redken Powder Refresh 01 Aerosol Hair Powder/Dry Shampoo – $17.00
Redken Forceful 23 Super Strength Finishing Spray – $17.00